Wednesday, January 25, 2017

The Gift: Second excerpt

Twenty days left until the release of The Gift! Here's another little teaser:
 
 
Another knock on the door wakes me, and I’m slightly disoriented for a moment until I remember. My birthday gift. This is why I’m here. I put the robe over my PJs, wondering what other surprise the hotel might have for me. The knock sounded firm, but not especially urgent, so I’m sure it’s not a fire or any other emergency.

The woman standing in front of the door must be mistaken. She’s wearing high heels, which almost put her at eye-level with me, a trench coat and a big handbag. No stockings, I realize, and frown. It’s a bit early in the year for that, although, none of my business. I’m still somewhat sleepy, and she doesn’t say anything either, so for a few heartbeats, we just study each other.

“Can I come in?” she asks with a cordial smile.

That draws me out of my reverie. “I’m sorry, you must have the wrong room. I’m not expecting anybody, Ms…”

“Lacey.” She steps into the room and closes the door.

“Okay. Lacey, whatever this is, I think you should—” Leave, I was going to say, but the word refuses to come out when she slips the coat from her shoulders, and all she’s wearing underneath is midnight blue lingerie. Tasteful, but still. I must be dreaming. I realize that my gaze has been lingering on her body far too long. She has noticed it too, an amused smile playing over her lips. I quickly bend to pick up the coat and lay it around her shoulders. It has to be a dream. Cruel, but nevertheless, a dream. Things like that do not happen in my life.

“You need to leave,” I finally manage. “Someone made a mistake.”

“Oh, I don’t think so. You’re Chloe, right? Happy Birthday. My job is to make it an especially memorable one.”
 
 
I hope you enjoyed this preview. Release Day for The Gift will be February 14th, but you'll be able to pre-order it next week, starting on January 31st!
 

Like sensuality between women, mixed with a little taboo? Please check out my other titles at www.amazon.com/author/ravenjspencer Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment